Why I started a blog
When I think about why I sew, a few things come in mind: it's complicated, it's challenging, it's a new learning experience, but most of all, it's fun and rewarding. When I see the final item completed, my heart fills with joy looking at it, knowing it is an item I created with my bare hands (and a machine) and its existence is here because of ME. Being able to touch and feel an item that was once only in my imagination, is such an emotional boost, it becomes addicting.
There are many reasons why I started this blog, and I list the ones that come to my mind at the moment:
- Share my experiences as a novice sewer. I never thought that one day, I would be sitting in front of a sewing machine, making crafts and sewing clothes. It was because of a thoughtful gift and my own curiosity that led me to where I am today. I don't come from a family of sewists or have friends that know the skill and the shy side of my brain avoided the idea of taking sewing classes. I was on my own. Looking at my first sewing machine, the Brother LS2400, I was determined to figure out how to use this thing. Scared and frustrated at times, I've been able to pick up basic skills, learn new stitches, hemming options, understand most of the sewing lingo.
- Let readers know that if I can do it, so can you. Many times when I say that I like sewing, the other person says that he/she has wanted to learn for a long time and just never got to it or have not tried it yet because it looks so challenging wouldn't even know where to start. Well, hopefully by reading the articles here will encourage you that if you only set a couple of hours a week to play with that sewing machine, you can also pick up sewing and make it a great hobby!
- Document and share my sewing achievements. Who doesn't like to brag about the sewing projects they have completed? :) More than just bragging though, it's nice to share with the world items that you have created hoping that it will be inspiration for someone that seems it.
- Give back and acknowledge all the people in the online community that have helped and taught me. If it wasn't for the online community of sewists (I know this is not an actual word, but I wouldn't call myself a seamstress) I wouldn't be here today. It's because of people like Professor Pincushion, Craftsy Articles, Sew Can She, All Free Sewing, Sew DIY, So Sew Easy, just to name a few, that have discovered the art of sewing and bringing my imagination into reality. In each article that I write, I will be referencing all the people that have helped me complete the project, or find the answer, or learn a technique, etc...
- I have the time. After I quit my job last November, I took a few months to do crazy travel and starting February, I have settled down back at home in San Francisco, where now I enjoy sleeping in, working out, hanging out with my the loves of my life, and do a lot of sewing. Who knows how long this will last, but I am definitely appreciating every single day of it!
So here you have it, why I started the blog, essentially, it is to share my LIFE with YOU. Have fun reading it, learn from it, share your own experiences, answer questions, or just browse around. I'm happy I could entertain you even if it was for a second.