legal stuff

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.36.38 PM.png

Get a Seller’s Permit

Getting a seller’s permit is the most basic license you need in order to do business in San Francisco. The permit allows you to collect sales tax for goods sold from your customers. Then in turn you pay the State for the taxes collected.

You need one for your store/studio/home address, or the address where you do your main business. You might also need additional ones called “temporary seller’s permit”. You need these temporary ones if you’re attending craft shows or temporary locations 90 days or shorter.

You can get one these with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration:

get a business license

Business licenses are different than seller’s permits. Business licenses are issued by the city or municipality and it is documentation that says you are allowed to do business in California. It also allows you claim your company name so that no one else in the State can have it.

Depending on what kind of maker you are, you’ll need a license from the State to do business as well. California requires special licenses if you sell certain products such as firearms, gasoline, liquor, lottery tickets, etc…

You can get the business license at City Hall or this site:

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 8.45.33 PM.png